10 Things Every Aspiring Author Should Know…
- You can’t write what you don’t know. Research is essential.
- No one gets it right in the first draft. The average novel is rewritten 7 times.
- You will get rejection letters. Learn Origami, rejection letters look much better when they are folded into cranes.
- There will always be people who don’t like what you write, you’ll never please everyone, it is impossible, don’t even try.
- Embrace your characters quirks and tells. When I was writing my pirate novel ARRGH!, I spoke pirate for three straight days.
- Take reviews with a grain of salt, even the good ones.
- Be humble
- Write everyday, even if it’s just a line or two in your journal.
- Read! Especially in the genre you’re writing. You can’t be a writer if you are not a reader. It’s the most important thing you can do.
- Never give up! If you want to be a writer write. Not to be famous, not to make money but because it’s who you are and you can’t help but do anything else.
Happy Writing- S